Tuesday, December 8, 2009

The wind will not stop me, only push me further forward....

Flashback to March 7th, 2008.

Against our parents wishes that night, my best friend and I ventured out into the snow covered streets of Columbus to catch yet another Blue Jackets game. The news had strongly advised against driving, but anything short of a Level 3 snow emergency wasn't going to be enough to stop us from going. The drive there was slow and had it's anxious moments, but we arrived at the Arena safe and sound, ready to root on our hockey team.

We played the Edmonton Oilers that night and I remember being especially excited to see my first ever hockey favorite, and former Blue Jacket, Geoff Sanderson. Unfortunately he was a healthy scratch that night, but I still had 23 other players to keep my spirits high.

The highlight of the night was a videotaped message from Rick Nash thanking the fans for coming to the game despite the terrible weather. I heard the giggle in his voice as he thought, 'you guy's haven't seen terrible', but his thanks was genuine nonetheless and much appreciated by fans.

We lost that night. Our seventh straight. The winning goaltender on Edmonton? Mattheiu Garon. :)

Hitch wasn't happy. He conducted an 8 minute meeting the next day, forcing players to dig themselves out of the snow to come to practice, only to be reamed and sent right back home. Hitch was making a statment then; the boys weren't playing with enough heart.

Fast forward to December 9th, 2009. The Blue Jackets will be taking the ice in hopes of breaking what might as well be an eight game losing streak because let's face it: no one is willing to remember the win over St. Louis when the boys have lost 8 out of their last nine games. I remember the game quite clearly. Kris Russell scored his first goal of the season while R.J. Umberger registered his second career hat trick, but unfortunately these highlights are shadowed by the woes that linger around the club.

So why then, does Hitch not try some tough love on the boys much like he did two season ago when the team was in a similar situation? I'll tell you why.

Because this team has heart. This team is hungry. This team knows what it takes to make a push deep into the playoffs. They've tasted it- and now they want more. Fans will argue this, but I can't believe that these boys don't give it all they've got everytime they take the ice.

So tonight, while the wind is blowing at 50mph and the gusts of rain splash violently across Columbus, I'll be in my seat in section 218 rooting on the boys with all I've got.

Don't stop believing fans!

GO JACKETS! CARRY THE FLAG! I BELIEVE!

3 comments:

  1. that was a heartbreaking loss! looking forward to a new post... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for continuing to follow. I feel like there aren't enough of us "believers" out there, so your fandom is much appreciated. I will be updating the blog shortly :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. loved the update and i agree- we are a small but mighty group of believers but we are the ones who make the difference so i hope that you keep writing...

    ReplyDelete