Friday, December 4, 2009

A motivational nightcap

Can't sleep.

Blame the ugly, at home loss tonight, but that's not it......not directly anyway.

The boys are discouraged and they are showing it in a bad way on the ice. It's unfortunate really, because they have the promise of a very good hockey team behind that bench, but loss after loss they seem to let their mind overtake the matter and the belief in themselves begins to wane. I wish I could speak for every fan and tell them that we're proud of the heart they put into their effort and we believe that things will start looking up for them soon, but unfortunately there are too many CBJ fans quick to blame, quick to insult and quick to stop believing.

So I'll just speak for myself:

To believe is in your heart; to trust your own belief is in your mind. I know these boys have it in them to fight through this. I can see see the determination in Rick Nash's boot scoot. I can see the passion in Derick Brassards eyes. I can see the hunger in Jake Voracek's race up ice for the puck. It's there and they all have it in them. I can see it.

But in a loss such as this one all that goes through their minds are the reasons believing is such hard work.

R.J. Umberger makes a great point.

“It’s especially embarrassing to lose like this at home. Last year, we fought hard and competed like crazy to be a competitive team, a playoff team. The respect we got from our fans was incredible. They really bought into us. I have to think that right now we’re just letting them down. It’s frustrating for them, for sure. They’re paying good money at a tough time (economically) to come watch us, and there have been too many bad performances here at home.”

Thanks for your understanding R.J.. Now here's a message to you:

It's especially hard to lose like this at home because I know you boys want it so bad. Last year, you all fought hard and competed like crazy to be a competitive team, a playoff team--and I know you want to give that same effort this year. The respect you got from your fans was incredible. We really bought into you and even though things are riding on a pretty rough track right now, you haven't let me down. It's frustrating sometimes, yes. I pay hard earned money in a tough time to come and watch you play and home ice hasn't exactly been your best friend, but I don't come watch for a win in order to gratify myself. I want that win for you guys because nothing pays for my ticket more than to see the happiness on all of your faces after the victory horn sounds. If you play with your hearts and give it all you've got, I've gotten my monies worth, win or lose. And just for the record, I don't just come to watch. I come to support and believe.

When you don't feel like you've got the support of the fans, you've got me to support you.

When you feel like believing is an empty promise of the heart, know that I believe for you.

Confucious said it best when he said, "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Rise up boys. Rise up and march on because you want to, because you have what it takes and because you believe!

GO JACKETS!

2 comments:

  1. Couldn't agree more! Thanks for taking time to write this...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's really nice to read something besides "Fire Hitch" or "Trade Everyone"!!!

    I completely agree with you... right now it's a tough time for the team, but anyone who doubts their resolve is delusional.

    I believe in this team, and I believe in our coach and GM, GO JACKETS!!!

    ReplyDelete